Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Carrie's Rolex Experience - And Then I Got To Thinking...

When I woke up this morning and looked out my window – I saw grey skies and wind and just pure, grossness.  Then, I checked out weathernetwork.com and looked up the weather in Lexington, Kentucky.  Currently, it is 5 degrees Celsius and a balmy 15 is expected for their high today!!! And, in completely getting ahead of myself, I checked the weather for SEVEN DAYS FROM NOW!!!  Humm – they are looking at anywhere from 10 – 15, give or take.

And then I got to thinking: Packing for Rolex, is going to be a lot like packing for a horse show. When you THINK you have everything you need, make sure you bring an extra…As a chronic over-packer, I am going to attempt to make a list of things to bring.  And then add in Rain gear and a winter-ish jacked and shorts and sunscreen…all in the same bag.  I think that will have me covered. 
Having never been to that part of the US (my dad is American, I have dual citizenship, and have traveled a little up and down both US Coasts), I am really looking forward to seeing the part of the Country that is so rich in Horse!  I also couldn’t think of better people to be coming with me!  My coach, my eventing partner and her sister are making up the ‘Cobourg Crew’, and other then Patricia; I believe I am the blogger that is coming from farthest away!!! I mean, who doesn’t like a road trip based around Rolex right? 
UPDATE: As it turns out, there are a couple people coming from a litttlllleee farther East then I am...but, I will let them tell you about it!!
Chester says: Noooo, don't leave me Mommy!!

And then I got to thinking: What is the best way to get from Cobourg, Ontario, Canada to Lexington, Kentucky, US.  And, NO, I do not have a GPS that speaks to me in a very sexy foreign accent.  So, Mapquest it is!  We are looking at – give or take – a 1,037.18 km drive, which will take 11 hours and 35 minutes…but, I’ll bet, we do it in about 10 and a half.  I-75 South: Here. We. Come. (Although, I have been warned by numerous sources that Highway Patrol does not like foreigners speeding on 'their' highways...well, hopefully, a car full of women, driving down a highway at 4 in the morning will give us the advantage when if we get pulled over.) I am actually impressed with Mapquest at the moment. NOT because they map the gas stations, motels etc along the route. Reason being: They map the BARS along the route!!! They must know we are coming.  We are going to leave around 7 or 8 pm – after rush-hour Toronto Traffic has ended – and arrive bright eyed and bushy tailed (hahahaha) around 6 a.m

And then I got to thinking: This trip is going to remind me a lot of my Annual Girls Trips To Vegas Weekend. A LOT of cool stuff to do.  A LOT of cool people to meet.  A LOT of cool things going on all at the same time – sensory overload.  A LOT of booze to be consumed (can we bring beer in our backpack on xc day?!). A LOT of incredible horses and horse people to watch (although the horses aren’t really around in Vegas). NOT a lot of sleep.  And well, the way I see it, I have less of a chance of getting arrested in Lexington then I do in Vegas (unless of course I attempt to run around the xc track at 3:30 in the morning, which I haven’t completely ruled out yet), so, that is a good thing.

And then I got to thinking:  I wonder if there is Wi-Fi in the middle of the xc course…because I will have a laptop, a wicked-ass camera, a USB Port AND a video camera along with me for the entire time I am there.  So, let’s go with, “YES, there IS Wi-Fi in the middle of the xc course.”

And then I got to thinking: This whole experience really is going to be geared towards all us Ammies out here.  So – all you Ammies out there – WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO FIND OUT FOR YOU??!! Because, I’ll bet you, I’ll be able to get to the bottom of it!!  If there is something specific you are interested in, let me know and I will see what I can do. (And NO, I will not ask Boyd or WFP to marry you...I know for a fact, both are happily married.)

And then I got to thinking: I can’t wait to meet the other Ammie Bloggers (and Patricia), that are all part of this experience!! I am looking forward to that almost as much as I am everything else that is going to be related to this trip to Kentucky.

And then I got to thinking: If you ARE going to be at Rolex - come and find me! I would love to meet you!!

And then I got to thinking: Everything is better with Bourbon…right?
See you in Kentucky!!

No comments:

Post a Comment